Wednesday, April 1, 2020

French Class 1: S'Appeler

Hello everyone.
Learning a language is always exciting. The Language of the Hexagonal country is even more exciting. Let's begin right away.



S'Appeler is a verb in French, it means to call oneself. It is usually used to introduce oneself.

Example: Je m'appelle Marc.
                Je m'appelle Annie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-kv17gnf

The verb takes 2 l's (appelle)when used with the word/pronoun Je which means I.

Se and me are reflexive pronouns that become s' and m' in front of a vowel.

Se means oneself/himself/herself/itself. Me means myself

The sentences mean I call myself Marc and I call myself Annie literally. The simpler meaning is

My name is Marc.
My name is Annie.

Et vous? means And you? to continue the conversation.

Type your name in the comments. You never know when you would need to add it to your swag.


The Culture tip: As a bonus on the first day, the introductory sentence had a culture tip which you can identify and mention in the comments.

Today's tip: The Mona Lisa Painting is housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris.
The French call the Mona Lisa "La Joconde" and they say so based on the mid-century 16th century biography of Leonardo da Vinci by Giorgio Vasari, wherein many historians believed that the painting is a portrait of Madam Lisa Giocondo, wife of a wealthy Florentine. It is from Giorgio Vasari that the painting received the name Mono Lisa, also known as La Gioconda in Italian or La Joconde in French.

https://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/mona_lisa/mlevel_1/midentity.html

This post is written as a part of #blogchatterA2Z


18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful theme! I speak French and am quite a Francophone, will enjoy following your lessons and revise my language skills too.
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that. A Francophone on board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. My daughter picked it as her 3rd language this year, hopefully we will get help from your posts during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful if it benefits her. Thank you for the encouraging words

      Delete
  4. Merci! Glad to refresh French, a much loved language through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an unusual and interesting choice of topic. Looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sonia, it is unusual. I wanted to make an online presence and this is the bet opportunity.

      Delete
  6. Interesting theme, Srishti. My French is a bit rusty. The series would definitely brush it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative ! I am also learning french in my school as an extra language and I must say it is a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that. I an trying to provide listening, reading and writing through comments.

      Delete
  8. Wow, now these posts are to be saved, and glad that I'm going to learn french this month with you. Thanks Srishti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried my best to make it interesting and simple for a new learner. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  9. This is interesting..Might learn something new during the lockdown..Will be coming back evetydayđź‘ŚSee you around..

    ReplyDelete